Friday, May 11, 2007

Austin’s Grumpy Old Troll Under the Bridge


Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later. Eventually I would have to meet the Toll Troll.

When all the toll roads started going up in Austin, I decided I wouldn't use them even if it means a longer drive. But this week I had a meeting and needed to get to 1431 toward Cedar Park and things didn't go as planned. I had not driven that area in several years so I was not familiar with the layout of the new 183 Toll Roads. I couldn't use the Toll Road anyway because I don't have a TxTag and the first entrance doesn't take cash.

Don't trust the maps
I looked up the route using online maps and thought I could take 183 North and exit before the toll roads, then stay on the access road until I get to 1431. I figured I could at least follow the signs to stay on the access roads because I had read that they had been re-routed. Things went fine until I got past 620 and Lakeline Blvd, then the access road ended and I was forced up onto the Toll Road entrance ramp. I stayed in the right lane and the entrance ramp turned into the 1431 exit ramp almost immediately. As I exited I was forced to pay $1.50 and man was I pissed! I couldn't have even been a mile and I didn't have a choice!

Suckered into Paying a $1.50 for 1/2 Mile!

If there were signs saying I needed to turn somewhere to avoid getting on the toll road, I sure didn't see them and there was no way to turn around. Once I exited, there were four toll booths and the signs are hidden under a cover over the booths, so I couldn't tell which one was the cash booth or how much the toll was until I was nearly at the booths. Luckily, I was the only car there. That's funny somehow.

Out-of-Towners Beware:
Ridiculous! $3/mile should be illegal. I feel sorry for any visitors to our town. They won't know about the NO CASH entrance and they won't know what the total tolls will be until they exit and then get an additional $6 bill in the mail for not having a TxTag. They'll probably go away thinking what a bunch of rip-off nickel-and-dime thieves we Texans are.

Warn your visitors so they don't get screwed too.

No comments: